It’s Aaron writing today.
Sweet Lorraine has done such a nice job updating this Blog. My Mom and my sisters have also helped. Thanks to so many of you who have written
nice things, and taken the time to express your concern. Regarding the nice comments some of you have
written about me on this blog, a friend recently said to me: “Those people are obviously writing about a
different Aaron Thatcher.”
The greater mystery to me is that some actually find our
lives interesting to read about. We’re
about as average and normal a family as you’d find. And so we’ve been so grateful that you’d show
an interest in our circumstances and even remember to include us in your
personal and family prayers.
I’m feeling great.
I’ll return to work on Monday. I
just received my official clearance from my physician this week. Part of his letter reads as follows:
“Aaron is medically
cleared to return to full work responsibilities on September 28, 2015 with no
restrictions.”
We see this as a miracle.
Just as we consider my response to my medicine a miracle; and the
genetic marker I carry a miracle; and the timing of the care I
received—which prevented respiratory failure, a miracle.
The last six months have been life-changing for our
family. Many of you who are reading this
will understand perfectly what I’m referring to, as you’ve had experiences in
your lives that have had the same effect.
I think sometimes a dramatic change in our lives causes one to think
about things he/she has never thought deeply about before. To feel emotions, fears and worries
differently than before. It alters what
a person values most in life. The
feeling of frustration with my circumstances was one of the obstacles that was
difficult to work through. Why did it
have to be lung cancer? Couldn’t He have taught us these same lessons
with a less severe type of cancer? And
why did it have to be Stage IV? Stage 2
would have gotten my attention just fine.
And if it just had to be Stage IV, why did it have to include so many metastases
to the brain? As my brother Jeff would
say, I had such limited brain function to begin with…. And was it really necessary to include the
Lymphatic system in the process? I was
pretty sure that I could’ve learned some lessons if there had been a single
solitary tumor that could be surgically removed. That’s enough to wake most people up, right? 1% of Stage IV lung cancer patients make it
to the 5-year mark. And those with stage IV lung cancer who are unlucky enough to have the cancer spread to the brain as
mine has, have even less time to look forward to. What’s so important on the other side that I have
to get there within 5 years? Couldn’t they do without me for say 20
years? How about letting me live to be
60? All of my kids would be in their
twenties by then; I’d have that time to help Lorraine through the challenging
years of raising young children. It’d
give me time to prepare all of them the best I can. Does living to age 60 seem like an outrageous
request to any of you? For months, I’ve
wrestled with these thoughts. In the
initial months following my diagnosis, the thought of not living a “long life”
was deeply troubling to me. The idea of
not being around to help Lorraine was beyond upsetting. Not to mention the fact that the future has
always been exciting for me to think about—full of miraculous events and things
we’ll see in our lifetimes that have never been seen before. The thought of being ‘absent’ for all of
this--and not being able to witness it together with my family--seemed a bit
anticlimactic.
But a stillness has begun to settle over me. I don’t feel the need to fight against things
that are outside of my control as much as I did before. A feeling of trust has become my predominant emotion. Trust that whatever God decides for me and my
family will be fine. An acceptance of
His will has come unexpectedly. There
wasn’t a particular event or a specific day that produced this shift. It has just gradually come. I’m on board with His program now. We’ll spend
whatever amount of time we’re given in doing His will, and will serve Him
however we can. Whatever the Lord
determines, we will cooperate with.
We’ll do everything possible to persuade the Lord to grant me a long
life—as much time as He’s willing to grant.
But if that’s not part of His will for me, we’ll accept it, knowing that
He knows what is best, and things will turn out fine.
I now recognize the many ways Heavenly Father has blessed my
family and me more profoundly than I did before. It seems strange that He would have to remove
something (good health) that I’ve grown accustomed to throughout my life, for
me to be able to see His hand more clearly in everything. Others can probably learn these important
lessons without having to endure such dramatic events. But it’s my belief that God will give each of
us just enough challenges in life to make our lives purposeful. I don’t think we’d want it any other way. We’re here on earth to gain the experience we
need to progress. We’ll be given opportunities
to prove ourselves. God loves us too
much, and cares about our progression too much, to not provide those
opportunities.
Before any of you get the wrong idea, I better clarify
something: We are more determined than ever to LIVE. I’ve always liked challenges. And here I’ve been given the greatest
challenge of my life. The stakes are
high. The odds are not good. The likelihood of a complete turnaround is
remote. What’s not to love about this
set-up!!?? We’ve been given an opportunity
to do our best work under the most challenging circumstances. To practice what we preach, so to speak. To learn what it really means to
exercise faith in Jesus Christ. We know
that He lives. He has healed people with
much more serious problems than I currently have. If He chooses to do that for me, then He
will, and we’ll be grateful. If He
chooses not to, then He won’t, and we’ll be grateful still. But in the meantime, until His will is made
known, we’re going to do everything in our power to live another 20+
years.

Aaron! Wow! What a ride! And what a journey! Thank you for letting us all be a part of it, crying and laughing and worrying and wondering with you. Thanks for the example, and Godspeed my friend!
ReplyDeleteI am so impressed with the honesty and the strength of you and your wife, Aaron. I've been checking for updates here almost daily, hoping and praying for good news. I'm glad you've arrived at an oasis and hope that there will be many and bigger ones further on your journey. Whatever happens, thank you both for sharing your struggles and insights. I'm giving a talk tomorrow on the peace of mind the gospel can bring us in difficult times--if you don't object, I may quote a little from this post.
ReplyDeleteAmen
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing all your thoughts, Aaron. I appreciate your honesty about your inner struggles with this trial, and how your deep trust and faith in God's will has helped you to overcome them. It really is a miracle that you're able to go back to work on Monday. Good luck making that jump back in! I bet Lorraine and the kids will miss having you around, but it's so nice that you are feeling well enough. We love you and are hoping for another 20+ years as well.
ReplyDeleteI just read this to Cody while driving to church. We love you and are so grateful for your example of faith and hope. We're praying for a 20+++++ years.
ReplyDeleteYour thoughts touched me deeply. We love you guys.
ReplyDeleteAaron, thanks for taking the time to share. I'm so glad you are feeling so much better and we continue to pray for your victory in this battle against all odds.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAaron, I was so saddened to hear of your diagnosis, and now I am so grateful to hear you have been blessed with some degree of healing...physically and spiritually. Let me set you straight on one thing Aaron...nothing about you is average! You have been leaving great impressions and setting a great example to those around you all throughout your life I am sure, because that is the kind of person you are! What a beautiful family you have! You have always risen to a challenge, so you are well equipped to handle what comes your way. God bless you and your family!
ReplyDeleteAaron, this is Kody Merritt, I don't know if you remember who I'm, we played Basketball against each other all through high school. I can still remember the first time I ever met you. It was after a freshman game at Bear River. We had just played against each other; you and Wilcox made me look bad (because you were so much better than me). We started talking as we were leaving the building; you told me how good you thought I was and that I had a lot of potential. I remember how I felt at that moment; I felt the sincerity in you and the truthfulness of your words. I knew you weren't jerking me around. It made me work harder and want to be as good as you. That never happened as you kicked my but for the next four years. I always looked forward to competing against Mountain Crest, one because of how big of rivalry it was and two; I knew you would be pushing me to be better. So I guess I just wanted to say thank you for treating a rival like friend. It has always stuck with me and is something I try to teach my 15 year old daughter (who plays volleyball at Mountain Crest, funny how things work out). So thank you for being the person you are, I will never forget the kindness you showed me! I hope everything works out the way you want for you and your family. YOU DESERVE IT!!
ReplyDeleteAaron, this is Kody Merritt, I don't know if you remember who I'm, we played Basketball against each other all through high school. I can still remember the first time I ever met you. It was after a freshman game at Bear River. We had just played against each other; you and Wilcox made me look bad (because you were so much better than me). We started talking as we were leaving the building; you told me how good you thought I was and that I had a lot of potential. I remember how I felt at that moment; I felt the sincerity in you and the truthfulness of your words. I knew you weren't jerking me around. It made me work harder and want to be as good as you. That never happened as you kicked my but for the next four years. I always looked forward to competing against Mountain Crest, one because of how big of rivalry it was and two; I knew you would be pushing me to be better. So I guess I just wanted to say thank you for treating a rival like friend. It has always stuck with me and is something I try to teach my 15 year old daughter (who plays volleyball at Mountain Crest, funny how things work out). So thank you for being the person you are, I will never forget the kindness you showed me! I hope everything works out the way you want for you and your family. YOU DESERVE IT!!
ReplyDeleteAARON MY NAME IS ALEXANDER AM MARRIED WITH VALDEQUE, RESIDENT IN BRAZIL IN 1994 RECEIVED THE LECTURES ON THE CHURCH OF A HEAVENLY ANGEL, A GREAT FRIEND WHAT YOU AND YOUR ELDER PARTNER Floyer, HAVE A LOT OF MISSING, HOPE IS GOOD AND A GREAT HUG IN ALL YOUR FAMILY. MY EMAIL IS ALEXANDRE.CONTABILEX@HOTMAIL.COM
ReplyDeleteBeautifully said. We love you and your family. Always in our thoughts and prayers!
ReplyDeleteAaron,
ReplyDeleteWhitney and I have been thinking and praying for you from Oklahoma. So glad to hear you can return to work. I miss our talks at the dental conventions, and in my short time at Brasseler, I came to realize what a truly great person you are. God bless and prayers for another 40!
-Matt Holland
Hello Aaron my friend,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your testimony today. It inspires me to trust God in this process. All things will work out for our good with faith in the Savior. Your family is beautiful and you and Lorraine are inspiring examples to us. We love you. Thank you for reaching out to me that day in American Heritage - by small and simple things. Each day is a gift and you have shown me how to maximize each one for good. Like "Dave, what do you think we should do to prepare to be the best missionaries we can be?" ~ Aaron. Thank you my friend. 20 years later you are teaching me to follow the Savior, as we all should lift our friends. I add my faith to yours in prayers for continued miracles and strengthening of our faith, despite circumstances.
My father passed away from Leukemia 10 years ago. He had 3 children in highschool. He left a legacy of love, family, testimony, courage and faith. The length of a life is not the measure of a life is it. I am grateful to be counted as a friend.
Dave
Aaron --- you are such an inspiration to me and so many. Reading your post today I was reminded of a conference talk given more than 10 years ago (crazy that I can remember something from a talk that far back). It was called "But if Not" and the speaker referred to the account of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego. I've always remembered this talk and the example of how when faced with getting thrown into a fiery furnace, the 3 of them said they knew that God had the power to save them, "but if not" they still would honor the Lord. You seem to have the faith of Shadrach, Meshach & Abed-nego. Thanks for your example of faith - It makes me want to do better in trusting the Lord and His ways.
ReplyDeleteI had to look up this talk after reading your post. Here's a link: https://www.lds.org/ensign/2004/05/but-if-not?lang=eng
Jeff
Aaron, sorry it has taken me so long to write a response. I am never good with this technology, so keeping track of blogs isn't my specialty. But you are in my thoughts always, and of course in the prayers uncle paul and I say daily.
ReplyDeleteYour attitude makes me grateful, and it makes me want to be a better witness of our Savior, without Him how could we view death and trials with anything but sadness?
Elder Nielsen Maxwell said that courage is contagious. Thank you.
And much love. Aunt Jill
Aaron, what a miracle!Thanks for sharing; keep fighting!
ReplyDeleteJim
You and Lorraine both have such beautiful and moving testimonies of the gospel plan, our Heavenly Father, and Jesus Christ! Thank you for sharing and I am so grateful that you are back at work and medically clear!
ReplyDelete