This Friday, Aaron goes in for his first scans since
diagnosis. He will get a PET and brain MRI. We won’t know the results until the
following Thursday (June11). Originally these scans were scheduled for Monday, but our
three children with cystic fibrosis need to be hospitalized next Tuesday (if
any of our PCMC nurse friends are reading we hope you’ll come see us and take
care of us;). Their hospital stays last for two weeks, and we are simply trying
to balance a busy month.
I have a few thoughts on scans. I’ve decided that scans are
only going to tell me what is currently
happening in Aaron’s body. They are not going to be a predictor of anything; good or bad. Maybe I have decided this
because I have read too many stories of people having clean scans or dramatically
improved scans and then a short time later cancer comes back. I can’t ride that roller coaster. I have to
keep steady. I can see why cancer patients get “scanxiety”. You never know what
you might find at any moment. I don’t know how others deal with scans, but this
is going to be my method. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Just a recap on Aaron’s cancer, because it’s really an
amazing thing to consider:
*Stage
IV lung cancer
*Lungs
are almost completely involved (meaning there was very little lung tissue that
was tumor free)
*It
metastasized to the brain. The radiologist didn’t bother to specify the number
of brain tumors. He simply said they are “innumerable”, and that they are in
all 6 major regions of the brain plus the brain stem. Brain mets are never a
good thing.
*It
has spread to the spine, hips, right femur, lymphatic system, and multiple
places in the ribs
*Incurable
And yet we feel hopeful. I am sure some people think we are
nuts, and I can’t blame them. I only know what I feel in my heart of hearts and
that feeling is an incredible hope. I keep thinking I should be falling apart
and yet I feel a great strength. I feel
calm. Currently, the hardest part is
dealing with the extra busyness that has come our way. We are trying to balance
a lot of things around here, and fortunately we are blessed with a continuous
stream of loving people who are willing to carry this burden with us.
It’s been a blessing for Aaron to be able to take time off
from work. He is using that time to get his strength back. I know he is looking
forward to returning as soon as possible.
His personal goal is to be ready by end of August or first part of September.
Hopefully his doctors will support
that. Brasseler has been so good to
Aaron and our family. From his co-workers to the CEO. They have all been
supportive and encouraging.
Sunday morning I watched our four youngest children run
around the yard without a care in the world. David said, “It’s the perfect
morning. The birds are singing, it’s warm, and I can do whatever I want.” I
felt gratitude that our kids feel happiness at this time and that cancer has
not taken away any of their childhood. It was at that time that I wondered why
cf times 3 was not enough for me. Why we had to add lung cancer times stage IV
too. I am good with my life. I don’t have any complaints. The Lord has been
very generous with me, so the question wasn’t asked in bitterness, more of just
an “oh, by the way I’m just wondering” kind of thing. The feeling I got was
that Heavenly Father loves me and He desires that I keep on the path back to Him.
Left to my own, I would find a sweet carefree spot in life and never leave. A stagnant spot that wouldn’t lead to all that
God has in store for me and my family.
Thank you for not forgetting us and for checking in.
![]() |
| Ella helping Aaron get his exercise for the day. |
![]() |
| A trip to Beaver Dam for Memorial Day |


You can always count on us to join our faith with yours on Aaron's behalf. We love you all!
ReplyDeleteOur prayers are extra fervent right now as these next couple weeks unfold. Lorraine, thanks for feeling us with hope! Love you all!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the update! Our thoughts and prayers are with you every day!
ReplyDeleteI think you have every reason to be hopeful, Aaron seems to have improved so drastically. I'm sure it must be good news. I have asked those same questions, mostly in the same curious way and sometimes with some deep sadness I like your answer. You are such a great example to me. You are in our prayers!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great perspective Lorraine! Thanks for sharing you thoughts here. We pray for you all each day and are hoping with you that you will get good news next week. It was good to see you several times last week. We love you guys!
ReplyDeleteWe pray for you, guys daily and love you
ReplyDelete