When Aaron was in the ICU, and before the cancer diagnosis, people began bringing us meals. I began keeping a list in order to write thank you notes when this was over (because no doctor thought this was cancer). One night in the hospital I pulled out the cards to write and heard a voice in my head say, “Don’t be so hasty. These people are going to be doing more for you in the coming days and weeks than you can possibly thank them for in one card.” How true this has been.
I’ve tried writing in my journal about the things people have been doing for us, because I want to look back at this time and see the Lord’s hand in all of this, and I find I can’t write about everything. People have been doing so many many thoughtful, generous, kind things that I can’t keep up with all of it.
When Aaron’s diagnosis came, and we finally knew what we were up against, it all became so real to me. I found a quiet place in the house where I could sob and pour my heart out to God. I knew He was there and yet He felt so far away from me. I knew He had not abandoned me, and yet I felt so alone. I plead that He would show me each day that He was aware of my family and me, and He has answered this prayer in the most beautiful way. He sends you. Your prayers, faith, dinners, haircuts, yard work, laundry, microwaves, plumbing, blankets, groceries, carpools, babysitting, emails, treats, movies, texts, visits, stories, etc. When we receive these things we are reminded that we are not alone. You have been the primary way the Lord tells us He is mindful of us and will see us through this time.
Yesterday, I popped into the school briefly and found our daughter Ella and a few of her friends. Her little friends began telling me how they pray for Aaron every time they bless the food and each time they say their prayers at night. Ella and one of her friends brainstormed ideas of how they could help Aaron. This little friend went home and wrote down their ideas. She showed up on our front porch this morning with her mom and dad and two little sisters ready to check off the things on her list. I love this little person and her faith.
You are people who know. You know how to love and liftand fill our hearts. We simply cannot tell you how much we love each of you. Thank you a million times over for your faith and prayers and for the many ways you remind us we are not alone.
We took a lot of pictures today of those who came to lift us, but I worry I would leave someone out if I tried posting those. Instead, I chose our little friend and her list to be the poster child; to represent all of you and what you’re doing for us. One adorable face. So many beautiful people. You are evidence that God hears and answers our prayers. Thank you.
Love, Lorraine

Isn't it remarkable how the Lord blesses the giver of a gift and the receiver. Thank you for letting all of us be part of this journey. We love you. Melissa
ReplyDeleteI went to school with your sister in law Laura. Ive always known of the Thatcher family and how great of people you/they all are. I believe Margaret Gittins shared this blog and I've been hooked since. Your faith is a testimony builder to me. You guys are so positive and I love how you look at all of this as a blessing. Thank You! I pray for Aaron and your family everyday. I'm grateful for good faithful people like you. I will continue praying. I admire you Lorraine and want to strive to be more like you!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet story about Ella and her friend brainstorming ways to help Aaron. What a cute little list in cute little handwriting.
ReplyDeleteThis is so tender! Your faith is such an inspiration to all of us. We will learn from you and Aaron and yor family. Hugs! Melanie Bruse
ReplyDeleteDon't worry about formal thank yous. The blessings come and the thanks are felt. We love and pray for you and thank you for your prayers for us.
ReplyDeleteI love this post and I love that you have so many people watching out for you.
ReplyDeleteSuch beautiful words, Lorraine. You are amazing. We love your family and we are praying for you.
ReplyDelete