Aaron has a way of touching so many people in so many ways. If you would like to share a story of Aaron to share on the blog, please send it to storiesforaaron@gmail.com.
Is seems like we just figured out how to control Aaron's nausea and were getting him to gain weight when a wicked rash showed up and with it extreme pain. It is a side effect of one of the new drugs. We knew of this side effect, but didn't know how extreme it would become. He had me try multiple creams and ointments to control it and maybe that contributed to it getting out of control. Treating the rash consists of him sleeping his days away while the skin heals and also holding off on the new drug until the rash is under control. I requested to have IV fluids at home so he doesn't dehydrate. Eating is another worry AND getting all the layers of cream we slathered on is an additional worry. I work on wiping the layers away to get down to the raw, red skin. Cancer just isn't pretty. He does not complain and is thoughtful even in his extremities. It was our daughter's birthday this week and I went to check on Aaron and in his hand was a ten dollar bill he had got...
Dear Aaron, growing up in Millville Utah, our little league team had to play your team that you pitched on. I remember to this day batting against your wicked pitches, a fast ball, a curve ball, I never knew what to do with your curve balls. Even when you were better than me at everything we ever did together, you always made me feel good about beating me in such an authentic way. It is because compassion is part of your being. Kindness and charity emanate from you like water from a spring. You and your brother Jeff where two of my closest friends through my teenage years. You influenced me and made my life better because I knew you. Now, life is throwing you a curve ball that you don't know what to do with....no one does who is familiar with the journey you and your family have begun. But I am confident, knowing you that you will walk up to the plate, square your feet, position your bat and with confidence and a will that escapes most, turn your head squarely at the pitcher and in your mind and soul say "BRING IT"! I love you big Aaron Thatcher!
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure exactly when everyone started calling Jeff and Aaron the "Young Princes", but I discovered how very appropriate it was when we took a trip with them, Grandma and Grandpa Johnson, and our four kids up to visit Uncle Rob in Washington. We put all six kids to bed on the floor in Rob's living room and I found a place among them. Everyone was asleep as I watched Mom come in, check all of the kids, and become upset because Aaron's blanket was too short and his feet were sticking out. She did the only thing that could be done, she took the only blanket covering my son Andrew and put it over Aaron's feet so that they would not be cold--after all, he was a prince.
ReplyDeleteYou are a prince, Aaron. We all love you and would gladly give our blankets or anything we have to help you be more comfortable.