Skip to main content

Good News, Bad News, Treatment Begun

We are overwhelmed with the wonderful response to this blog.  Lorraine was trying to marshal an army to pray for Aaron and we feel that we really do have an army behind us.  How can we thank all of you for your prayers, your fasting, your many kindnesses in word and deed.  It has been wonderful to read all the stories and comments that have come in.   Aaron texted me today and thanked me for thanking some of you for sending stories.  He said he wanted to write to every one of you but just doesn’t have the strength to do it at this time.  I want all of you to know how much it means to him to hear of your love and concern. 

I know that Lorraine appreciates it too and their children love reading the blog.  They are learning so many things about this dad that they love.  Can you imagine what a treasure this is for those six children?

I think that both Aaron and Lorraine were just so tired today that they didn’t get an update written.  But I thought you would like to hear what has been happening.  So I’m writing a little update.

Aaron, Lorraine and Jeff met yesterday afternoon for the first time at Huntsman with the renowned Lung Cancer specialist, Doctor Akerley.  They were very impressed with him and felt some hope after their visit.  Because of the rare, but very fortunate genetic marker that Aaron tested positive for, Doctor Akerley feels that his cancer will be more responsive to medications.  He put Aaron on the cancer treatment Tarceva, and told him to cancel the Chemo scheduled for today and also to cancel the radiation scheduled for the tumors in his brain.  They may be necessary later but for now he wants them to try this drug.  He felt it would buy him some time.  There could be some side effects such as a really bad rash that looks like acne but feels like chicken pox, measles, and poison ivy all combined.  It was the first really hopeful thing we have heard.  He told them it was incurable but treatable at this point.

Today they learned that instead of 7-10 tumors in his brain.  It holds innumerable ones.   There seems to be good news and then some bad.  We don’t know if this new bit of knowledge will change the treatment. The radiologist still feels the radiation is necessary.

I know this update isn’t very professionally done.  I’m just the mother and really can’t understand much of the medical terminology.  Anyone else would be more qualified to write this blog than I am.  But I thought you should at least hear a little of what has been happening.

I am qualified to offer our profound gratitude to all of you for your faith and the many prayers being given and for all those who fasted with us yesterday.  I felt lighter of heart yesterday than I have in weeks.  Our daughter Katie and I commented that the fasting was at least lifting our spirits, we could feel a great difference, the heaviness was dissipating.  There has been such an outpouring of love and we feel it.  It surrounds us and brings peace.  Thank you and keep those stories coming in.  They are such a wonderful gift. 

Aaron’s mom,  Kathy Thatcher 

Comments

  1. Mom, thanks for the update! That answered some of our questions. I can't believe how many stories are added each day! It's hard to keep up. You're right, this is such a treasure for their family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K, Aaron. You haven't texted me for movie recommendations for a while, so I'm going to give you one. Magic in the Moonlight-you and Lorraine are going to love it.
    We're thinking of you guys all the time. We're hoping this drug kicks in fast and you get feeling better quick. Good night, love you, and hope you get some good sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our thoughts and prayers are with the ENTIRE Thatcher family. This trial has affected so many which speaks of the incredible character of the ENTIRE Thatcher family. You are a beacon in our community and everyone who knows you has been blessed for good. Thank you for sharing your incredible faith with our family. We pray for miracles, small and large and strength to fight!! We hope all you know how much the Wright/Mathews families love each of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, I love seeing how you and your family are so supportive. We pray for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the update. Aaron, Lorraine, and their entire family are in our constant prayers. We love reading all the stories about Aaron on this blog. He influences the lives of so many others!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Know that we are thinking of you and oraying for you everyday xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy, Aaron and family,
    I didn't know we had family so close by! And the fact that it's one of Dave and Kathy's kids-- makes it even better! My husband, Brad and I live in Fruit Heights (close to Farmington)
    I am one of Bob and Lil's kids from the farm in Young Ward.
    Kathy, I have many memories of you at family reunions. I remember watching you with each of your children and thinking:"that's the kind of mom I want to be someday". Aaron is and has always been surrounded by lots of love.
    I'm so sorry to hear of Aaron's illness and all the heartache your family is having right now.
    I have been surprised at the amount of people that are familiar with Aaron and his spirit here locally. People who are concerned and are praying.
    I would like to be involved in this fight any way I can. Please let me help.

    Much Love,
    Tammy Thatcher Croft
    801-597-4582

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy I had no idea you lived in Fruit Heights. That is wonderful. We should meet up soon. Thanks for your prayers.
      Kathy

      Delete
  9. Aaron...haven't seen you since our days at TenFold. You were a good man then, very sincere and a positive influence and friend to us all. Reading thru these blog posts, it seems you have only become better...more seasoned in life, part of a sweet family with a faithful wife, and still full of honor, integrity, and love of the Lord. God's hand is clearly in your life. He is exalting you and your family.

    My faith and prayers are joined with your's. Keep fighting the good fight, my brother.
    Dallan Moody

    ReplyDelete
  10. I knew the Thatchers from when we all lived in Providence and then got to know them again in high school. Aaron has always been a class act. I still remember when a group of us went up Logan canyon to hike, throw dry ice bombs and watch a creepy movie - the boys brought in a generator to power the tv. I was recovering from jaw surgery and couldn't keep up with the rest of the group - Aaron stuck with me to help me along. Prayers coming your way from California. May many blessings and miracles come your way.
    Julie Bostock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you Julie,
      We have such good memories of the Bostocks. We love you.
      Kathy

      Delete
  11. Oh Kathy, "just a mother". You know you have always been my hero. The type of person I have said I want to be when I grow up. What a beautiful, strong family you have. Your family, particularly Aaron and Lorraine's are always in our prayers.
    I remember when Aaron and Jeff sat on the couch in the foyer at the old pioneer church. I was impressed at their long spider like legs. They always had a smile and hello for me. Each of your children have touched our lives.
    You continue to be the shining example of who I would like to be. I pray or your comfort and peace, as "only a mother". Love you. Linda Danielson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too Linda,
      And you are one of the great examples in this fight. You faced it all with faith and courage. We love you. I can't tell you how many times I have read those books you gave me and also loaned them to others.
      kathy

      Delete
  12. Generic Megace is used in cancer treatment specially in non cell lung cancer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wicked Rash

Is seems like we just figured out how to control Aaron's nausea and were getting him to gain weight when a wicked rash showed up and with it extreme pain. It is a side effect of one of the new drugs. We knew of this side effect, but didn't know how extreme it would become. He had me try multiple creams and ointments to control it and maybe that contributed to it getting out of control. Treating the rash consists of him sleeping his days away while the skin heals and also holding off on the new drug until the rash is under control. I requested to have IV fluids at home so he doesn't dehydrate. Eating is another worry AND getting all the layers of cream we slathered on is an additional worry. I work on wiping the layers away to get down to the raw, red skin. Cancer just isn't pretty. He does not complain and is thoughtful even in his extremities. It was our daughter's birthday this week and I went to check on Aaron and in his hand was a ten dollar bill he had got...

The Battle Begins

As Aaron's family, we think he is the greatest and we know there are many others who feel the same way.  He is a friend to all and sees the best in everyone.  Our Big A is truly one of a kind. Aaron has always been a healthy guy and has never smoked a day in his life.  When he became sick in January, we never dreamed it was anything serious.  Multiple doctors told him it was Bronchitis.  By March, he and Sweet Lorraine knew it was something more serious.  X-rays were alarming and the biopsy showed Adinocarcinoma Lung Cancer. He will soon begin treatment.  He and Lorraine, along with Kaitlin, Maddie, David, Brigham, Ella and Lily are asking for your faith and prayers.

Aaron Vere Thatcher

Written by Aaron's Mom and siblings: To all who have loved Aaron throughout his life, we want to let you know that he passed away yesterday, December 18, 2018 in the hospital, surrounded by his family. Sunday night, Aaron took a turn for the worse and was taken to the hospital. We were hopeful that he could regain his strength and come home, but it wasn't to be. Yesterday he interacted lovingly with friends, church leaders, siblings, his Sweet Lorraine, and his children. In true Aaron fashion, and with great effort, he spoke to each person, looking in their eyes, calling them by name or nickname, expressing his love and gratitude in a personal manner to each one.  We wish that all of you who love him could have been there with us yesterday to witness his finest hour. He was the Aaron Thatcher we all love to the last moment, and there was an incredible outpouring from his wonderful soul. Each  felt personally loved and remembered by him. In his suffering, he tutored us ...