Skip to main content

Jeff

Jeff and Aaron at PET Scan consultation
I have loved reading the stories sent in about Aaron.  People sharing memories of Aaron’s youth often say that they can’t talk about Aaron without talking about Jeff.  It seems that Aaron’s name back then was ‘JeffandAaron’.  These brothers were inseparable.  They grew up very close and always watched each other’s backs.  They had the same friends, played on the same teams in every sport, and were constantly together.  You never saw one without the other. 

They always got along well, even as little boys.  I don’t remember them fighting.  Maybe that is because Jeff could talk Aaron into or out of anything.  Aaron got a nice basketball for his 5th birthday but he only owned it for a few minutes before he had traded it to Jeff for a pack of gum.  Jeff had convinced him that it was a great deal.  Aaron hung on Jeff’s every word.  You could never get after one without the other fiercely defending his brother. 

When Jeff left on his mission, Aaron was more than lonely.  When he was preparing to leave for Florida and his first spring training, I remember asking Aaron if he wasn’t just a little sad to be leaving home.  I remember his reply, “Mom, since Jeff has gone, I really can’t stand to be here anymore.  Everything reminds me of Jeff, and  that makes home painful.  I just miss him too much.”
One of the heartwarming things for Dave and I about this whole journey with Aaron’s cancer has been watching Jeff.  When all of us were devastated with the diagnosis, and hardly able to think about what to do next, Jeff just went to work. 

Jeff and Amy’s son Stockton, was diagnosed with Leukemia last year so Jeff has been studying cancer and learning all he could to help Stockton.  That study has widened with Aaron’s lung cancer diagnosis.  People have asked us if Jeff is a doctor.  He sounds like one.  He can talk with any of them using their terminology.  He has developed  knowledge of procedures and medications and can tell you just about anything you want to know or don’t want to know about this cancer. 

When Aaron first got sick, before any diagnosis, Jeff took one look at him and called us to say he was sure Aaron had cancer, “I’ve seen so many cancer patients over the last year, I know the look of cancer!”  The Doctors at that time, didn’t think that was Aaron’s problem, but Jeff was right. 
By the time of the diagnosis, Aaron was in very bad shape and Jeff knew that time was of the essence.  He began to study everything he could find about Aaron’s particular cancer.  There isn’t much hopeful news about Aaron’s cancer and I’m sure it was a very hard and depressing thing for Jeff to learn about, but he persisted.   Not only did he know what would be coming next as far as the symptoms Aaron would be developing, but he familiarized himself with every treatment option that there is and also every new study in process at this time.  He knew every drug and their rate of effectiveness and knew just what to ask the doctors.

Because of this Aaron and Lorraine wanted him to accompany them to every doctor’s appointment.  Aaron was too sick to talk and ask questions, but Jeff seemed strong and was fighting.  He knew what questions to ask.   It was wonderful to have him in their corner. Like Lorraine said, “He did what we couldn’t do for ourselves.”

He spent days on the telephone calling about insurance.  He tried to get the Huntsman Center to accept Aaron’s insurance trying every avenue to get it accepted but to no avail, so he called every hospital in the state that would take Aaron’s insurance to try to move up the testing that was scheduled.  Every day was vital. 

He took time off work and went days without much sleep trying to help his brother.  And when things looked bleak he would tell us that miracles were possible and seemed to be on their way.  And we believed Jeff, because he seemed to know, and it is not his nature to whitewash anything. 
One night in his weak voice Aaron said to me, “Jeff is fighting for my life.  He is doing everything he possibly can to give me a chance.  He has done this all my life.  He went to bat for me when I was trying to get into the Master’s Program at BYU, and at other times in my life.  He has always been there for me.”

So many kind things have been done for Aaron and Lorraine, our hearts have been touched by everything, and everyone, who has given service, shown love, offered kind words and memories, and helped us face this sudden change in life in any way.  But watching Jeff has been especially moving for us.  He has demonstrated what good big brother’s do. 

We all have an older brother who is our advocate, who helps us through difficult things and is there for us always.  Jeff is a big brother cut from that same cloth.  Never has a mortal brother fought harder for his brother’s life.

Thank you Jeff.


Mom

Comments

  1. Kathy, what a wonderful analogy of our "Elder Brother" and Jeff and Aaron. We all need that "Elder Brother" ,Jeff is certainly a vital part of Aaron's miracle. So many of us are experiencing "Aaron's miracle" in our lives. It might be in New insights into gospel principles, perhaps new reasons to thank our Heavenly Father as we watch miracles happen, perhaps other reasons to fall on our knees.
    I am so thankful for the miracles that I see happening with this good, humble, deserving family. My prayers are with you and your family. Beckie Olson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky,
      Thank you for writing. I think of you often and your good family. We miss you in Paradise.
      Love you,
      Kathy

      Delete
  2. Ooh I LOVED this post SO much. I felt the spirit so strongly as I read it. I'm amazed and praying everyday for your family. Thank you again for your example and for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lorraine and Aaron,

    I met Aaron in American Heritage class as college Freshman. He was a bright spot in a big class of 1000 students. He asked me what I thought he could do to prepare to be the best missionary possible before his mission. We became friends and had a few fun activities our freshman year before he went to Brazil and I went to Argentina.

    I am not an oncologist, but if any ophthalmology issues come up, let me know. When you get to Chico, we'd love to have you visit and the kids to get to know each other. Wish we were closer to you all.

    My prayers are with you both!

    Dave Woods


    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both of those outstanding boys and I thought your entry was superb. Thanks for sharing it. You are all in our prayers.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful insight! 2 great men!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wicked Rash

Is seems like we just figured out how to control Aaron's nausea and were getting him to gain weight when a wicked rash showed up and with it extreme pain. It is a side effect of one of the new drugs. We knew of this side effect, but didn't know how extreme it would become. He had me try multiple creams and ointments to control it and maybe that contributed to it getting out of control. Treating the rash consists of him sleeping his days away while the skin heals and also holding off on the new drug until the rash is under control. I requested to have IV fluids at home so he doesn't dehydrate. Eating is another worry AND getting all the layers of cream we slathered on is an additional worry. I work on wiping the layers away to get down to the raw, red skin. Cancer just isn't pretty. He does not complain and is thoughtful even in his extremities. It was our daughter's birthday this week and I went to check on Aaron and in his hand was a ten dollar bill he had got...

The Battle Begins

As Aaron's family, we think he is the greatest and we know there are many others who feel the same way.  He is a friend to all and sees the best in everyone.  Our Big A is truly one of a kind. Aaron has always been a healthy guy and has never smoked a day in his life.  When he became sick in January, we never dreamed it was anything serious.  Multiple doctors told him it was Bronchitis.  By March, he and Sweet Lorraine knew it was something more serious.  X-rays were alarming and the biopsy showed Adinocarcinoma Lung Cancer. He will soon begin treatment.  He and Lorraine, along with Kaitlin, Maddie, David, Brigham, Ella and Lily are asking for your faith and prayers.

Aaron Vere Thatcher

Written by Aaron's Mom and siblings: To all who have loved Aaron throughout his life, we want to let you know that he passed away yesterday, December 18, 2018 in the hospital, surrounded by his family. Sunday night, Aaron took a turn for the worse and was taken to the hospital. We were hopeful that he could regain his strength and come home, but it wasn't to be. Yesterday he interacted lovingly with friends, church leaders, siblings, his Sweet Lorraine, and his children. In true Aaron fashion, and with great effort, he spoke to each person, looking in their eyes, calling them by name or nickname, expressing his love and gratitude in a personal manner to each one.  We wish that all of you who love him could have been there with us yesterday to witness his finest hour. He was the Aaron Thatcher we all love to the last moment, and there was an incredible outpouring from his wonderful soul. Each  felt personally loved and remembered by him. In his suffering, he tutored us ...